View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #618
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Very cool!
With all of the improvements and the dimensional changes you have in mind, those are going to be a trick set of control arms. Do you plan to modify an existing lower control arm, or do you plan to build a custom one? I'm thinking that you'll build a new design, probably out of steel plate. That's what I would do.

I have a buddy who builds ultra trick ($$) high end off road race vehicles, and he builds all of his own control arms and beams. Absolute works of art. I was over at his shop a while back and snapped a picture of some stuff he had just finished welding. "Just a couple of simple brackets and and some limiter strap tabs", he said.

I love fab work, and I'm really excited to see what you're going to come up with.
Man those are nice!! Send him over when he has some free time I'm going to use tubing, probably 1 5/16" lower and 1 1/4" for the uppers. The bag mount will be plate, and I'll make a tubular X brace in the center to stiffen the arms. I bought 6' of 3/8" rod to mock up the shape of the arms first so I'll have a template for bending the tubing. Plate would work for the arms but I think tubing will be lighter; plate would have to be pretty thick (heavy) and I don't have a way to cut anything that thick.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote