Thread: 55.2-59 Pre-ownership inquiries.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
68shortwide

Re: Pre-ownership inquiries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
1. rust repair, especially at the bottom where everything ties to everything, is in my opinion a terrible way to spend time on a project and if you dont have some special skill for it will actually shorten your life, or more accurately at least every time I do floor/lower rust repair I want to die. seriously consider a better donor before signing up for a lot of rust repair. I realize panel trucks are hard to find, so the scarcity of the model probably will have a bearing on your decision.

2. s10 swaps are common on the 47-55.1 trucks but are generally considered too narrow for the 55.2-59. its not impossible, some have done it. on the other hand later 73-87 truck frames are slightly too wide. some guys have used trailblazer chassis, which are almost right but are also not super straightforward. with those search terms you can likely find some examples of all of them in the project section, you can log in, click on projects and builds, select search this forum, and find some. you are right that uprating the BRAKES is the best way to go faster, so if you rebuilt the front end and updated the brakes and then the rearend (for more top speed) you might have everything you need.

3. no bad people here just some hard and fast opinions. and lots of talk.

I have been to florissant, is your tap water drinkable yet? been at least 10 years.
1. My dad is a career bodyman/fabricator, he's a sick mind that actually mildly enjoys this kinda stuff. I just didn't know if they made patches or he if he'd be forced to hand build everything.

2. Will keep looking at those, also researching track widths of subframes, newer frames, etc. Not afraid to shorten something that has a similar track width and build mounts.

That's a great question, I don't really drink tap water so I'm not sure. I always go for the filtered ice/water dispenser in the fridge door.

Miracle, the current price is free...Pictures don't do much, it's shoved in the corner and the front ends off of it sans hood.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote