View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 08:11 AM   #42
KyleSeal

Re: My 1967 Build (Finally)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOffStroker View Post
Just wanted to mention real quick about your transmission choice and some things that go with it: with the 4L60 (700R-4) it is essential to have the TV cable adjusted PERFECTLY or you will turn the insides of the trans to silly putty within the first few miles. Spend the extra money to get a factory-style cable with the ratchet action and the reset button...the Lokar style cables are nice, but difficult to adjust correctly. The other option is to buy a constant-pressure valve body from TCI that ensures the trans will survive if the cable comes out of adjustment.

Finally, with your choice to go to a 30" tire to fill the fender gap better, you may only spin like 1600ish at 65mph (assuming your rear gear is the fairly standard 3.08 that these trucks came with.) That sounds good and all, but I can tell you from experience with my '69 Suburban 5.3LS/4L60E/3.08/31" tire it got absolutely terrible MPG on the highway. I figured that low revs would get better mileage, but it turns out I was quite wrong. A mild V8 will get best mileage at efficient torque, and that is ~2300rpm. So I'd recommend getting a 4.11 gearset (~2200rpm @ 65mph) or keeping the 3.08 and driving in 3rd gear, not overdrive (~2300rpm)
Very good information. I ordered a ratchet style "OE" one from Summit that seems to be good quality, and will more than likely have a few of my buddies more familiar with the 700's help me set the correct adjustment.

As to the tires and the gearing, I appreciate the info - I am currently at a 3.73 gear, so guesstimation tells me ~2000 RPM or so? Im curious how this gearing would work out, but I suppose if its not deep enough of a gear then I can always just swap it out. Kind of would like an excuse for a LS or posi.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote