View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #24
A1971Blazer

Re: To Big Block...Or Not to BBC.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
In no way challenging you, I'm just curious how someone can take an LS motor, bone stock that's rated for maybe what 16-17 mpg in the city in lets say a Crew Cab Silverado, then put it in a C10 and all of a sudden it gets 25+mpg ? I get it, LS motors are efficient but I have never seen one that's pound for pound and dollar for dollar similar in power. You can buy a 150k mile LS motor all day for $800 and it still needs going through. Then you'll need the ECM, pedal, etc. I can build a $800 350, Vortec heads, etc and piece one together cheaper. It takes a lot of weekend driving to justify a $4000 build on an LS motor to make 600+ horsepower. Yes, they're more efficient but they're far more expensive to build. For an every day driver, LS. For a weekend fun toy and/or workhorse I'd go with the GenIV 396. The right build and carb setup makes all the difference in the world. Why not EFI the BBC? Just a thought.

Here's a clip of my BBC. It's no land rocket.. but it's pretty nasty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9k_...ature=youtu.be
No my friend...I have the utmost respect for your and any one else's opinion....Years ago..(late 60's early 70's LOL)...I was into big blocks deep...there's nothing sweeter that the sound...the last one I had was 468 open chambered aluminum heads....13:1 pistons and a big Crane cam that wouldn't idle under 1500 RPM in a 71 Camaro...Me and my buddies won a bunch of money with it...street drag racing (I know...crazy)....that was when gas was 35¢/gal and we would easily burn 2-3 tanks on a Saturday night....loads of fun!
Now fast forward to 2006 with the advent of the Z06 Vette and LS7 engine...I bought one brand new....505 HP and honest to Pete...26MPG at cruising speed...that's what sold me on the LS base....yes they are more expensive to build...and I agree 100% with you as far as the intended use for the truck...it's all good....carry on...

BTW...beautiful Truck...'67 & '68 are my favorites
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote