View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
ImNoSpaz

Re: Pops and My build 67 C10

Thank you

In case you're wondering why the trans crossmember has 2 rails, its because those 4L80E's are HEAVY! I could see the stock x member bow down and pull the frame in a tad when we set the trans, and the new ones from the "famous" makers do the same as well as won't work with the 454/4L80 combo. So it is what it is and didn't budge 1 micrometer when the weight sat on it. I also wanted an additional 1/4 inch clearance for the exhaust, and having 2 rails made that possible (smaller diameter with even smaller tubes pressed and welded inside those) along with being able to set the mount lower and inbetween for the angle issue... and less $$$ because I used scraps that I had sitting around. The only thing paid for was having the 2 side pieces broke to fit the inside frame.

Another thing is just about everything we have done utilized existing holes in the frame. Pops refuses to drill frames (Old School Mech) and everything has been powdercoated. That Old School Mech also shows in that fuel filter setup

Pops found a muffler man who was willing to horse trade. That includes coming to my shop for measurements instead of taking the chassis to him! Now we just have to figure out how to get it back to the rear with that gas tank between the rails. Over the rearend is best but we may have to compromise and go under because that long panhard bar takes up too much room on the drivers side.
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote