View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 01:00 AM   #3
caseyjones

Re: 1964 GMC Palomino Tan Survivor

Plans for the truck are similar to what I've done on my C10. I want to keep as much original character as I can but also make it reliable, easy on the highway and low. I'm going to convert to 5 lug, or I could live with 6 lug if the right deal on a rear end came along. I have another NP440 in my attic, but I'd have to find or modify a shifter to work with it. The electrical system will need some attention. The body isn't too bad, the rust will be one of the last things I'll tackle.

I'm coming across some decision points on suspension. I'm shooting for the same 4.5"/6" drop that I've got on my C10.

1) this is a leaf spring truck. I measured 52" eye to eye on the springs...is this how the squarebody trucks are set up too? Seems like a set of 1/2ton springs and a flip kit would be a no-brainer.

2) I love the ride of my C10. I could swap to a trailing arm setup instead. Probably more expensive...convince me why I should.

3) CPP makes conversion spindles that use the stock 3/4 ton lower a-arms, but I want to rebuild the whole suspension and the MOOG balljoints are $$$ and the inner tie rod joints are unobtanium. If I swap arms, i'd prefer to grab the early lower arms and steering linkage so I can use CPP's drop spindle that doesn't change track width. I can find squarebody trucks in the pickn'pull any day but I don't like the track width change that comes with using those arms and spindles. Seems like no great solution here.

4) I want to try manual brakes on this one with the stock squarebody discs. What MC bore size works for that combo?
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote