View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #185
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Seems like a good process. I always hear chemical dipping does a great job but there is a chance of chemical left in tiny nooks and crannies. This process sounds like it takes care of that possible problem and gets where you cant get with rust preventative surfacer.
This is either the third or fourth body I've had chemically stripped (going back over 40 years) but the first time for e-coating. I've heard the same cautionary tales about chemical immersion stripping but have never had an issue personally. That said, if the company doing the work takes shortcuts when rinsing and neutralizing, I can see where it could lead to that exact problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Looks good Vic..
Thanks, Greg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Wow, that looks like a brand new body! Well, sort of... I bet you'll be happy you did it in the long run.
Hope so, Duane. I keep telling everyone this is my last build, so it needs to outlast me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks Great, Vic! Sorry I didn't get to see you more on Saturday!
Thanks, Chip, I wish we'd had more of a chance to visit but you were busy when we first stopped by and then later on our paths didn't cross again. We left shortly after they made our group take down a couple of the EZ Up canopies. Too many trucks and not enough space. Great weather though.

I went two out of three falls last week with the 9" rearend. The long side axle was too long and wouldn't seat in the taper bearing race. Measurements indicated the center pin in the differential was offset toward the long side by about 3/16". After multiple calls to Roadster Shop, Speedway and Strange, I solved the problem by cutting 1/4" off the long axle. According to the tech at Strange, you only need 7/8" of spline engagement and I ended up with 1" on the short side and a little more on the long side. Apparently different styles of differentials can have widely varying pin locations. The tech at Roadster Shop said they only guarantee their setup will work with an Eaton Trutrac. It would have been nice if they indicated that on their website.

For those who are wondering what that e-coated body is gonna sit on, I've posted a few shots of the rolling chassis. I'm not sure whether I'll keep the 6.2 LS3 emblem on the FITech intake. I have another piece of the 3M vinyl wrap without the cutout for the emblem in case I change my mind. We towed the chassis to the upstairs garage yesterday and covered it up. Body work is in my immediate future.

Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote