View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 07:31 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Re: Manager or Working Joe which is better?

At this point in my life, and after running my own business for over 40 years, I would only want to put in my 8 and at quitting time start thinking about anything I want.
I tried working for someone else as a carpenter. I was offering my skills not my management. But just because of my age my boss expected me to run the job. That would be fine since it takes no effort for me. It's instinct, second nature, and in my blood. The problem was, he gave me no control! In fact, it was rare that he didn't work along with us. And any input I had was shot down as if it we were competing. Hey, not my business, IDGAF, whatever you say. Then he starts claiming I'm losing him money. I was hired at the middle of his pay range with the agreement he's bump me up based on my efficiency. Great! I'm all about efficiency. First job we do it's all four of us up on a roof watching him work, with one of us going down to get something he didn't think to have us bring up in the first place. I stood there wondering what I had gotten myself into

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote