View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #28
Advanced Design

Re: Project “Already Built” 68 Shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Well I ran into a little issue today that I kind of was expecting. The previous owner installed a Vintage Air kit like you would use in a hot rod, more of a universal kit. I knew this was something I wanted to change when I bought the truck. So today I tore into it, he welded tabs in the opening to make it smaller left and right and cut it out bigger up and down. I’m going to have to cut it back out to the correct width to install the new factory style control panel but it will be to big on the top and bottom...... Keep in mind this thing is all painted and I don’t want to do any welding. I pondered it all day and may have an idea, I thought about ordering a piece of carbon fiber about 1/16” thick and making a nice little “bezel” that would cover the indented area that the ignition switch, heat-ac control, and cigarette lighter is in. Feel free to throw out any other ideas
By the way, I did order a complete Vintage Air Surefit kit for it this morning. Everything he installed is all new but I just don’t think I’d be happy with it
How much of a gap will there be top and bottom? The carbon fiber is a good idea. Try it and see how it looks. Also, would it be possible to use it as a bezel just around the hvac controller with just enough width to cover the top and bottom?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote