View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #143
parb

Re: ParB's 72 Orange Jimmy

Now that i've driven it a bit i got a few things going on this week.

I'm definitely going to replace the speakers that i got up front hanging off the dash near the AC controls. I bought them from one of the aftermarket companies, but they just don't sound good. I think i'll DIY something with better components from parts express or something similar. I got to research this a bit better but i know i can do better. I will focus those speakers on mid-high range coils to improve clarity.

I will likely put a low profile bass speaker under the drivers side or under the back bench. I haven't decided wich way i will go yet. Likely a custom enclosure to make it invisible.

I'm going to put PPF film (sometimes called invisble shield) on the instep of the truck at the painted area on the bottom of the door opening. Just to reduce risks of scratching the pant when i step in/out of the truck. I may do the same around the inside of the windows, i like to drive with the window open and my arms on opening, but i know from previous experiences that this wears the paint.

I'm going to tune up the carb. i think the idle is a bit high, and now that its back to sea level from 5,000ft altitude when it was last tuned i figured its best to get it done. I have no skill in that whatsoever so i found a guy who specializes in carb rebuild and tuning. I also will go back to a more high flowing air filter. I put back the old snorkel style air filter but i can absolutely tell the difference vs a high flowing circular filter. If i go to a show i may put on the snorkel for original looks but i like the higher HP. I have corvette horns and 2.5" exhaust and a higher flow carb so i think this makes sense.

I hear a whine from the engine. I suspect a pulley needs to be replaced. tried to find it with a stethoscope over the weekend but couldn't find it (or i don't know what i'm doing). It could be the new alternator that is on it. I'm going to have someone i trust take a look at it.

During transport on a trailer from Lake Tahoe to the bay area over the weekend my truck got shaken on the ****ty, potholed highways in california. I locked the passenger door with the key. Once i came home i can no longer unlock it. Something must have misaligned or fallen off. I can't pull up the lock from inside and they key doesn't work from outside. I will have to take off the door skin from the inside to see if i can get it open.

I think i got the 0-50ohm fuel level sender instead of the 0-90ohm. I'm trying to decide if i will design a voltage following current sink circuit to work around the problem. I'm pretty sure that i am going to do this, as pulling out the tank doesn't sound like fun. I'm appealled to do this, because its a real simple circuit, and this type of circuit can be made tunable to make sure that the gas gauge is linear (by compensating for variance in the fuel sensors variable resistor). And i like old school electronic design in general.

So a bit more stuff, but nothing super hard ahead.

par

Last edited by parb; 09-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.
parb is offline   Reply With Quote