View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 12:34 PM   #84
AllenF

Re: Morphing a 1956 Chevy 3200 onto a 2001 Tahoe Chassis

Finally got enough sun to show what the color actually looks like. The hood hinges are just plain old aftermarket replacements. The tubes coming off the firewall are drain tubes. I modified the plenum such that water no longer runs down the A pillars but instead runs out the front like modern vehicles.

Drove it on the freeway on it's first shakedown run, and it's remarkable quiet and stable. I thought there would be a lot of wind noise from the "dirty" un-aerodynamic body design but it's pretty quiet in there.

As I close this project out, here are a few useful data points for anyone crazy enough to want to do this...

Total cash outlay....about 33k including the two vehicles.

Total hours....probably 1200

Things I would have done differently... everything...I probably wouldn't integrate the floor and firewall. Yes, having the 2001 HVAC and steering is cool, but the customizations to the dash, dealing with the body control module issues, modifying the instrument cluster, and dealing with all that integration isn't worth the effort. As for the seats, the old fashioned, sit upright seat may not be comfortable, but there's no way a 6' tall person could drive this with the 06 chevy pickup seats.

Also, I will need to circle back and add just a bit more room to the rear fenders. Just a tad too close. I didn't have the final wheel size/backspacing/fitment resolved before I went to paint. Poor planning/ rushed.... at any rate, on to the airstream it's supposed to pull...
Attached Images

AllenF is offline   Reply With Quote