View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #29
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: My son bought his first truck tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Look at the actual fill/check ports, they have that tire looking valve stem thing in them. The bigger one was leaking on my truck. It could also just be a worn out seal. Look for an oil residue coming out around a joint or something.
One of the joints did have signs of a leak and it was fixed. Apparently there is another leak. I'll look it over and see if I can spot it. I bought a can of freon with dye added to help spot the leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
your changing the tank so it has to come out from under the truck. removing the bed wont work because the canister is in the way of the back tank strap so either way you still have to get under the truck. i've pulled the tank on allot of newer gm tanks and that clip that the hanger bolts into always breaks. i dont know if gm uses lock tight or what but they are the biggest pita.

Looking at the truck they put down salt on the roads. i dont know if you knew this, but you could have gotten a plastic tank out of a newer model and it would bolt right in. you'ld think after 50 some odd years GM would quit putting hollow rockers and deep cab corners on trucks that rust out and fall off.
I didn't know the newer models had plastic tanks, that would have been a good option. All the replacement new tanks I found were steel. It will outlast the rest of the truck anyway. Or at least well past the time he sells it. Salt is always a problem around here. I have relatives out west and if we decide to replace the bed I'll probaly look out there for a new one. I found one here that was pretty nice for $450 ($10 less than what he paid for the truck) but it still had rust hidden behind the tail lights and probably under the bed supports too.

I really think his best option on this truck is to just drive the hell out of it as is, maintain it, fix the little things like the radio and AC. Then when he has his savings built up look for a truck or car with less miles and rust and get what he can out of this.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote