View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
RexDodge

Re: Jon's 69 CST Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmc56 View Post
While waiting for some front end paint to dry, I started taking the rear end apart for installing the drop parts. I measured the current position of the rear end.

I'm replacing the rear coil springs, rear track bar, shocks and relocating the shock mounts (all part of the ECE drop kit). I also want to replace the trailing arm bushings, because they look to be original. This meant taking more stuff apart than the ECE kit would require.

As I was doing this I noticed that the front yoke area of the rear end has been slinging gear lube onto the underside of the bed, and the shocks were coated with gear lube. Looks like my pinion seal is leaking. I pulled the rear end out also so that I can replace it.

I've heard some comments about trailing arms and some concern about whether they hold up as they get old. Besides looking for obvious cracks or rust-through, anyone have advice on how to tell whether mine are in good shape? Thanks.
After you clean all the gook off with a wire take a close look at the ends. As you can see in this picture these trailing arms can develop stress cracks. I welded mine up and also skip welded the seams.
Attached Images

RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote