Thread: Gm crate engine
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #31
72SB

Re: Gm crate engine

BPE advertises my motor as a 355 which is a .030 over 350 block. The specs however note .040 bore so that makes it a 357. IDK if they bore the blocks they get or they are cast in that size and just machined/honed like any 350 block would be during manufacture to be native .040 larger cyl than a 350 block.

In the shop tour video they note the new castings are received and they deck them and finish the front and back of the block. Not sure what they do, if anything, to the cyl holes themselves. They have been using a foundry in Ohio but my understandings now is they are building their own as an expansion of their engine plant in Nebraska. Many of the machines they use in building the motors they designed and made themselves. That machine that puts the rings on pistons is pretty cool. Several of the assembly steps are robotic and unlike the major auto engine plants, they dyno every motor which to me adds a layer of comfort knowing the motor ran, made X power and if any sign of a problem would show during that process

Having purchased a few SBC & SBF over the years from various rebuild shops, the BPE has had zero issues for me vs "something" from the others
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote