View Single Post
Old 12-02-2023, 06:50 PM   #121
Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
Always look forward to and enjoy your updates!
Thanks! Here comes another one...

I've migrated to the rear of the car just for a change of scenery. The subframes are completely rotted out around the rear leaf spring mounting point. I cut away the (equally rotted) floor above the passenger (worst) side to expose the sub. The replacement pieces need to be 1/2" taller at the front to match the frame at that point. So I bent up some material and scabbed it onto the new sub. It was only tacked, so I had to weld it anyway, so the extra piece wasn't much work. I have the driver side piece tacked but not welded out yet. Some new material will be required on the rear panel. I plan to raise the level of the trunk about 2" to allow more room for the 87 Blazer EFI tank.

The inner wheel wells I'd forgotten to order arrived today. They match the outers I already have. They're for a 66-67 Fairlane, so I'm sure they'll require a healthy dose of modification. That's the problem with orphan models, parts are hard to come by. In order to fit them in, I'll need to cut away a lot more sheet metal. However, before that, I need to replace what I've already removed to restore the structural integrity.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas

Last edited by Vic1947; 12-03-2023 at 12:38 AM.
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote