View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #879
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

On top of it all yesterday evening....I get a call from my lil sister......imagin my shock and horror when she (in no way a car girl but knowledgeable none the less) pointedly and succinctly dresses me down for missing dinner with a brief diatribe on the value of fuel system Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services. Ouch, I slept poorly to say the least.

But, up early with the sun and the dogs and 30 minutes of inspection and maintenance and we are ready for a test fire, leak check and road test.

A look into the fuel bowl. Fines accumulating at 4, 7 & 10 oclock. So I swarfed out the carb, inside and out with cleaner sauce, pulled and flushed all the jets and the needle and seat. Should be fine, nothing appeared to be restricted or plugged. The idle jets on both barrels have wee teeny tiny passages but they flow pressurized cleaner sauce from a swooshie straw with alacrity. Sure is a lotta jets and flow type bushings in this here carb....I think I counted 11 or 15.....hard to remember cause I only got 10 fingers to tick em off....but I squooched all I could find and purged the emulsion sticktube thingies as well.

This might be the culprit....though I run a good quality filter twixt the pump and carb inlet, here is the strainer on the carb between the needle and the fuel filter.....icky....that ain't all of it, some was in the housing and two bitty bits fell out of the strainer onta the surgically clean paper towel. Ouch....its a 2 year old tank, 2 year old lines, 3 month old hoses and what I thought was a good filter.....guess I got some gunkey gunk in the tank and the filter finally broke down a bit.....anyway, junk appears to have gotten past the filter and screen to lift and hold the needle offa the seat. Ah well, more work with the high pressure cleaner sauce and alla the bits blasted into the air and away from the carb. Should be good to go.....fingers crossed.