View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #10
BigRandy

Re: 454 Occasional Lifter Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Back in the 70's some 454's developed occasional lifter peck. If I recall correctly a factory service bulletin instructed to drill a small hole in a oil galley plug at the front of the motor. Apparently the 73-74 years oil didn't bleed off quick enough in the lifter oil galley and the oil got too hot and thin causing the peck.
My Dad had a 72 Chevy wrecker with a 74 454 that did this is the reason I know of the TSB. We replaced the #1 cylinder lifters twice but the issue returned. We drilled the galley plug on that engine and it took care of the issue.
I don't remember the size of the hole we drilled in it though. It was 1975.
Member Keith Seymore has worked for GM forever and may have more info about it.
Great info. Thanks. This explains the issue I had years ago with a 454 in my 73 that always ticked. I'm guessing GM no longer supports that TSB. :-)

This motor is super quiet even cold after sitting for days. Just does it occasionally once it's warm. Since we have a few more months of cool weather and I won't be towing I went to 10w40. I've put 150 miles on it since the change and so far it's okay. As infrequent as it was I'll need to go another 100 or so to know if it helped.

I appreciate the TSB tip. Thanks.
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote