View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #144
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: HP Tuners Tutorials

Great questions, allow me to clerify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
...Just so I`m getting this straight, I can go on the site, download the authentic software to my laptop. Then (without credits) I can practice on a test file from them
Correct, you can download the software and also download any tune file from their repository although I recommend starting by downloading the Stock Tune files meaning some guys post their factory default files on there for others to grab in case they forgot to make a backup of their own tune files. You can search by Vehicle Year Make and Model. Not all years are available, but most are.

Quote:
... or can I download a copy of my current tune and practice on it; just not writing it back to the pcm?
You can NOT get your own file because you need their hardware dongle to connect to your PCM in order to read the file from your own PCM, that hardware dongle (little box, see pic below costs $300 bucks no matter who you buy it from) I say buy the dongle without the credits first, just pay $300 and have the hardware. That will allow you to read the data from yours and anyone's PCM in the world just not write changes back to it, but that's ok, baby steps.

Quote:
Or do I need credits to copy my current program out to the laptop?
No, you do not need credits to read files, but you do need the hardware to link your laptop to the cars computer aka PCM.

Quote:
The reasons I ask: I have an old OBD II cable from my 95 Trans Am Gen II SBC. (95 was a change over year, OBD I PCM with OBD II plug) I used it with Tuner Cat software for that year. Very basic program and not user friendly compared to the HP Tuner; but got the job done. if the cable will work with HP Tuner, my buy in to start this had gone down considerably. No need to buy their Bluetooth hook up, just credits.
Their magic hardware is proprietary and that's how they make their money it will not work with your OBDII cable I wish it did. Below is the pic of the little box, the cable is just a standard generic USB cable as far as I know, it comes with it, but it's just a regular USB cable.
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote