View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #47
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Who Sells This Under Dash Valence?

Ok, just did yet another Google search using task force, dash valance, extension, under-dash, etc and pretty much came up with nothing.

It's beginng to look like I'll have to resort to something I really have not wanted to do: Fiberglas, UGH.

I messed with it a little many years ago in high school and it was SO damned itchy I swore I'd never touch the stuff again.

I'm sure that just like paint, fiberglass chemicals have changed a lot. I remember there was casting resin and coating resin, probably more I didn't know about. There was fiberglass cloth you could buy but in high school we used old T shirts - we were funds challenged.

CALLING OGRE:

I understand I will need a long flat item like a board or plywood to mold the fiberglas (or a tee shirt!) over and I will need to follow the curve of the dash on each end along with a recess under the glove box (or I suppose I could just cut out that portion afterward). In addition, I'll need a flange on the top that will screw to the underside of the dash. I'm thinking maybe a small 1x1 aluminum angle and use short pieces on each end to pull the part against the curved dash.

Now: Where do I find the "Idiot's Guide To Making Fiberglas Parts" How to pull this all together? How to transition from the straight flat plywood to the curved portion at each end? Staple curved cardboard to the plywood and just add enough thickness in tee shirt/resin to make it a smooth curve? Would you do this entire piece in one effort or do it in pieces then join them together afterward? What to use as a release agent on the ply and cardboard? Or do you just leave them encased in glass/resin?

Anyone please chime in. Thanks, Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-12-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote