View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #30
Axle

Re: Jeep Steering shaft

A little update. Short lesson learned: make sure the jeep shaft slides freely-especially if you have rubber cab bushings still, the flex of the cab vs the fixed frame point is very real. Get rid of all the plastic from the inner shaft.

Wall of text warning. =-)

When I first 'melted' the aftermarket shaft apart I gave it just enough heat to let things slide apart to minimize any heat getting to the vibration damper. I then sanded the remaining plastic smooth thinking I'll leave it there for a good snug fit. Well, getting a bit extra spirited in my driving this past week I got a popping in the steering wheel when turning. First thought was oh crap, so much for aftermarket, but some things of note (I did lube up the slip joint initially for reference sake, and I did notice a slight bind in the slip joint, but figured meh.mistake on my part) one particularily hot day of doing more than my usual driving I noticed no popping. Only in the morning. (aha I says, something doesn't like the cold). Then the spirited driving comes into play, I get a pop when standing on the brakes hard. And I got popping at the stop light drags, no turning just straight lines. Little light flickers in my head and says hey dummy, you still got rubber bushings in this truck, she's moving to her own waves. Basically a bit of experimentation while driving over the last week--no I wasn't worried about things flying apart, seemed to confirm it wasn't a binding u-joint. Pulled the lower part of the jeep shaft out this morning, broke off the plastic collar on the inner shaft, sanded it a bit to make sure no rough edges, slopped the spot that had the plastic full of grease, a big dollop of grease shoved into the outer shaft, slipped together smoothly, tightened it back up and... todays test driving, so far so good, back to smooth precise steering and no popping. Obviously longer term is the real test, but I drive it to work everyday, it'll get a workout. If it acts up again, you guys will know about it. But free movement of the slip joint seems to be essential for operation under all conditions.

Of course, just one more thing on the short todo list now; poly cab bushings.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote