View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #5815
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Inventory of parts I'll send out for black zinc. Phosphate a possibility. Wholly cow there are a lot of parts, especially with A/C. I'm also retracing my notes to make sure everything is right & tight. It's not fun, and I'm beat. I've discovered I only cleaned maybe 70% of the parts along the way. The balance shouldn't be bad, but another 100 plus parts to clean. I have a real distaste for the small wire launching wheels on a Dremmel, but they work well.

I'm about 90% done. So far I've accounted for the hardware for 120ish components, total 392 pieces. Sadly, I can tell you ever aspect for everything. It snowballed as I was learning, and what the heck, just as well note the stamps.

Edit, BS I was 90% done. Shot up to 541 pieces, and I found 50-60 nice spares I have to add yet. That doesn't include washers and most nuts. I'll add shocks hardware for good measure. Have to pull the suspension, engine/trans yet, but they won't produce much. Still, I never imagined I'd have well over 600 plus pieces for plating or coating. Adds up pretty fast.

If I have them zinc plated black, I may send the same place the steel retainers & clamps (e.g., tube retainers) for "clear" or yellow plating. Wouldn't hurt to add some more yellow in there. Any grade 8 that needs replacing is going to be yellow zinc anyhow. The zinc option over phosphate would be convenient. They're 1/2 hour away. http://apexanodizing.com/service-det...c-plating.html
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-25-2017 at 02:26 PM.