View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
dfwright

Re: Best Media Blaster for Under $200 (Preferably)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnulfo View Post
I have never media blasted a car before but have read that if you dont know what are doing, you can warp your body panels. Wondering what technique you men that have done it use?
Well, that subject will likely start an ideological battle, but I will tell you what I think -- and so you can take it for what that's worth...

Go slow, and use lower pressure. The professionals use very high pressure and very high flow rates, which very likely cause heating and warping on delicate panels, especially areas like the hood.

It takes a lot longer to get the old paint and rust off when you are using 80-90PSI, and doing a little here, a little there, but I still find blasting superior to any other method I've used.

It is a risk you have to consider when deciding how you want to proceed. Areas like the cab, where the metal is thick and supported, there's probably very little chance of doing much warping. With the hood, the likelyhood is much higher. I blasted my hood. It took a long time because I used very low pressure 60-70lb, and went very slowly. I had no problems with warping. Others have reported that they have had issues. It's definitely something to weigh carefully before jumping in.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote