View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #25
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona
Re: 396 BB Question=Need advice

Just dug out the dyno sheets.
34deg all in is what it was dyno'd at.
As for the engine, it sat in storage for 5.5 years after dyno, so there are some unknowns.

That 9.5 I reported earlier was after it had been running for 20 minutes or so at idle. After I made the journey to my friends house (16 +/- miles) I shut the engine down. When we went to restart it, it started hard, then died after driving 300 feet down the road. Took a look and the fuel pressure gauge was showing 0-1psi at the carb. Dead pump.

I like the fact the engine is running at 185 to 190 at all speeds, idle or 70mph.

I had a custom 3" exhaust bent for it, complete with hooker headers, an X pipe and flowmaster 44's. The exhaust empties out at a 45deg angle on the back side of the rear axle under the bed. No drone in the cab, sweet deep mellow sound.

As for the Dyno, I do know they used their own fuel supply system, bypassing the engine fuel pump. So that means my pump is an old, dry pump. I guess lucky it even worked after all this time. That being said, I am going to convert over to electric and get the fuel pressure down to where it belongs. The engine runs strong, but with it starving for fuel, performance has been a bit dismal.
Right now the truck is running Mickey Thompson tires on all 4 corners, but they are bias ply and need to be replaced due to age. Having a terrible time locating 13" wide 15" tires.
The fronts are 10" wide 15's so those are not an issue.
The truck was setup for racing but have no idea if it ever made it to the track, but it sure looks nice with its stance.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB

Last edited by alsriv2; 01-30-2018 at 06:18 PM.
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote