View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #31
Coley

Smile Re: $2000 budget to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad's72 View Post
Do y'all think it would be beneficial to drop the oil pan and clean out all that old gunk that may be in there? I am not sure what 20 year old oil will look like but I am pretty sure it won't all come out the drain plug. I am just worried about the pick up getting clogged up with sludge. What are the opinions out there?
Every step like that is beneficial...but 'dropping the pan' is not as easy as it sounds. You can't take it off with the engine bolted down into position....with the motor in position all you can do is just lower it a little bit, which is not going to lend itself to cleaning it.
To fully remove it, I think you will have to undo the engine mount brackets, exhaust, transmission mounts, etc to lift it up high enough off the cross member to get the pan to slip past the crankshaft which half hangs below the block/pan mount line..

On the other hand, some guys may have simply 'released' the pan from the block and found enough space to reach in from the sides and clean the pan?....tough to successfully get the pan gasket back on tho' perhaps...not sure.
Perhaps some of the other members can weigh in on this possible process....

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote