View Single Post
Old 04-06-2022, 08:52 PM   #43
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
A car buddy of mine a number of years ago used to build Cobra kit cars for resale. He said the exhaust will always sound a bit different because as a driver with side pipes you only hear one side of the exhaust.
We have side pipes on our 75 Monte Carlo. It does sound odd from either side but inside it's more normal. I added a pic of that car as well. Not the best pic but you get the idea. Just another "alternative tinkering".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Those without the pipes showing look super clean, no more room than there is underneath, I wonder how they ran them..
I said "almost impossible". It can be done but on the factory five chassis it hangs below the body. And the muffler is right under your feet or seat so heat might be a problem. I found 2 cars that did it and I'll post pics of one. The other car used an independent rear suspension so he could route the exhaust out back. Can't realistically do that with a live axle. As you can see from the pics you can't really hide the exhaust and it's hanging lower than I would want to deal with on the street.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote