View Single Post
Old 03-07-2024, 01:57 PM   #1
pjmoreland

Gauge Cluster with 8000 RPM Tach & Vacuum Gauge

This is a very clean factory gauge cluster that was rebuilt and modified to add an 8k tachometer and a factory vacuum gauge.

This build addresses the following issues present in the reproduction 8k tach kits sold by the truck parts vendors. The reproduction lenses have the green background paint applied to the wrong side of the lens which causes the backlighting to be poor at night. The tach numbers on the reproduction lenses are poorly spaced and do not line up with the tach markings. There is also an odd-looking set of smaller numbers in toward the center of the gauge. The font used for the reproduction lenses is different than the factory font. The 8k tach kits position the tach too high so that it does not line up well with the hole in the tin and numbers.

This build uses all OE parts, with the exception of the 8k tach itself and a new circuit. An OE lens is used and has custom tach & vac decals applied that achieve an OE look.

Here are the details on this cluster:

Tach - Brand new reproduction, Counterpart brand, 8k

Vacuum - Nice OE gauge that has been cleaned, lubricated and bench tested. It functions well and reads accurately. There is typical minor discoloration of the white lines and text on the gauge face.

Fuel, Oil, Temp & Battery Gauges - These are nice OE gauges that have been bench-tested. They all function correctly. Needles have been repainted.

Speedometer - This is a nice clean OE unit. I tested it by spinning it with a servo motor at precisely 1001 RPM, and it read 59mph (60mph would be perfect). I lubricated it and reset the odometer back to zero. Needle has been repainted.

Front Tin - OE - I added factory-style formed openings for the tach and vacuum gauges. Repainted black face of tin with 2k epoxy paint.

Back Tin - OE - I added the tach hole using a template made from another tach tin. I positioned this opening slightly lower than the stock 5k tach location to optimize the alignment of the tach with the lens numbers. The paint is factory, and is one of the nicest original tins I've seen.

Lens - OE - I polished off the dummy tach and vacuum markings and applied a die-cut decal for the 8k tach and VACUUM. The lens is nice, but has typical swirl marks on the front from being cleaned over the years.

Bezel - OE 67-68 style in excellent condition with no cracks. The argent silver paint is factory and shows some fading and small scrapes. This is one of the nicest factory original bezels I've seen. I have two other bezels that I can offer for the same price, if desired. One is a nice original 69-72 bezel that has been painted black. The other is a reproduction 69-72 style. Just let me know, and I can swap them out.

Printed Circuit - Brand new reproduction

Bulbs - Tested good

$500 + shipping (8k tachometers and vacuum gauges are expensive)
Money order preferred, PayPal accepted (you pay fees)
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote