View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Auto transport and loading a chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
when you say auto transport , I assume you mean you need a trailer?..
about any dual axle, at least 16ft, car hauler style trailer will work..i prefer 18-20ft trailers,but 16 will work.for ease of loading, a dovetail is a bonus..but you lose some of the floor length with a dove..ramps are a must.. you can use a comalong to winch it onto the trailer..or use a small 12v winch....the wheels you should be able to turn with some effort,by hand, by grabbing the sides of the tire..if that wont work , a pair of vice grips clamped to the rag joint will spin the gearbox...if its power steering be sure to watch out for fluid spraying out of the lines
Correct, a flat bed trailer of some sort. 5Kish load capacity sounds about right, perhaps 18', enough room to mount a front guard I think I like the floor ramps best. Winch was my first thought, though perhaps a tow strap from the hitch on my other truck is an option? with tires well chalked of course. Yeah, probably a winch I'd do better than Harbor Frieght, but they have a 8K cable puller for $25. Think I'll need some tow straps of some sort, what a money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Similar to Steeveedee's suggestion...

Rent a tow dolly. I THINK you'd probably be able to tow the chassis without disconnecting the driveshaft if you'd put the rear tires on the dolly. Maybe someone can clarify if it'll track well. You may need to figure out a way to lock the front wheels in position. Your alignment probably isn't off enough to cause tire wear assuming you aren't going a ton of miles.
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Tow-Dolly-Rental/TD/
Great idea. I ought to be able to use a tow dolly on front. No drive-shaft, so I think I'm good. I don't care about the tires so much, I bought them in 1997, still tread and not cracked....Ha....The shop is about 5 miles from me.

Subject of turning, I realized all you need is a screw driver on the rag joint, perhaps with the tires off the ground some, I got a floor jack. The power steering isn't connected yet.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-29-2020 at 10:53 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote