View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #158
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Made some more progress on the paintwork in the last couple days.

I got through the 1st round of blocking and glazing. So here you guys can see all my "dirty" work.
Name:  IMG_2583.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  43.4 KB

Here's the firewall after getting shot with 2 more coats of primer.
Name:  IMG_2587.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  41.1 KB

A little selfie on safety. I am not a professional painter, but I take personal safety seriously. I work for an OSHA VPP approved company, so I try to continue that thought into my amateur work. For paint work, I've got a 3M 7502 mask (exhaust vents down, perfect for under the welding hood) with swappable filters shown here with organic volatile filters with a P100 pre-filter, some safety glasses, a $10 body suit (with elastic cuffs - it matters!) from Home Depot and nitrile gloves. I can't say enough about protecting yourself from these nasty chemicals. I wear the respirator and nitrile gloves when mixing paints as well. And when not painting, I have just a P100 filter on the mask (since the organics are life limited based on time exposed to air) which serves as a dust filter and mild vapor filter (i.e. body fillers, welding fumes, etc.). Oh and the nitrile gloves protect the fresh metal/paint from my finger tip oils, so the gloves work both ways.
Name:  IMG_2584.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  62.8 KB

In case you are wondering about if I will be testing color match, the answer is yes. I chose one of the front inner fenders as the test subject.
Name:  IMG_2588.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  37.4 KB

Here it's been wet sanded and will sit for at least 24 hours before I apply any color. I'm not a body shop looking to make a buck so I can afford the extra time to be sure everything is dry. Plus I don't have a heated paint booth to help dry things out.
Name:  IMG_2591.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  70.2 KB

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote