View Single Post
Old 07-17-2023, 10:31 PM   #98
cwcarpenter98

Re: Fan Shroud Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIL View Post
...The radiator in the truck is a bit of a mystery. The radiator core appears to match the dimensions of the factory V8 radiator, but whoever installed it had to notch both frame rails to make room for the width of the bottom tank. I suspect the radiator is a replacement radiator for a later '67-'72 C10. Also, I'm missing the side baffle plates that the original fan shroud would have mounted to. I suspect they were removed when the wider radiator was installed. That left pretty much nothing for the new shroud to mount to...
Allow me to help solve your mystery radiator. The previous owner of your truck did the same garbage that the previous owner of my truck did. Hacked the frame rails to fit the 63-66 v8 radiator into the inline 6 location. You currently have a inline 6 upper radiator mount that has been bent up to make the v8 radiator fit.

The inline 6 radiator sat between the frame rails and had some shrouding between the radiator and the core support. There was no fan shroud since the fan was basically next to the radiator.

The v8 radiator, and optional heavy duty radiator for the inline 6s sat on top of the frame rail up against the core support. The v8s used a short water pump and shroud with the side baffles to mount the shroud.

You shouldn't have a problem with what you came up with, so I wouldn't worry about trying to change things unless you just wanted to make it look more original again.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote