View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 09:36 PM   #2
JohnIL

Re: 1965 C10 LWB Project Build Thread

Wiring Cleanup Part I
I'm calling this "Part I", but there is a lot of wiring to be tackled and I've only scratched the surface.

-I've already addressed at least a dozen connections under the dash made with wire nuts and some with only electrical tape.
-I completely disconnected the power from the after market radio. It was wired wrong and was producing an alarming amount of electrical feedback through the speakers. The whole thing will get replaced with a modern touchscreen stereo. Until then, I will probably just tear the old stereo out of the dash to clean up the accompanying rats nest of wires.
-The previous owner appears to have installed a replacement fuse block and main wiring harness. While I'm grateful that the new harness is already installed, the installation of the fuse block was never finished. The fuse block was laying on the floor, under the clutch pedal. Not exactly a "factory" situation. The fuse block is now mounted securely to firewall, up under the dash.

There is plenty more wiring problems to be addressed. The under hood wiring is more or less stock. That's not a bad thing, but a lot of it needs to be refreshed and automotive electrical has come a long way since 1965. I plan to install new, heavier battery cables, a heavier alternator charging wire, ground and power buses, and an aftermarket fuse block to protect anything new that I add under the hood. There will probably be some relay wiring in my future as well.
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote