View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #60
UncleMatt

Re: 71 C30 dually restoration

Ok here comes another update. I've been working on the 4 link the last few weeks and I've finally got it all together and bags one. I still have a few things to tidy up but I'm leaving for vacation Sunday and thought I'd do an update before I go. Here's the lowdown.

I built my notch out of 3x5 3/16" thick rectangular steel. Here are the first two pieces tacked up.
Name:  01.jpg
Views: 5344
Size:  100.4 KB

The top pieces had to angle in for me to be able to fit my bags between the frame and the tire. The 1/2 ton trucks have the bend in the frame from factory but my 1 ton is straight.
Name:  02.jpg
Views: 5396
Size:  101.0 KB

I ordered a 4 link kit from Welder Series and was super excited about it. Until it arrived and I saw how puny it was. Don't get me wrong. It's a nice piece and wil work great on my '51 when I get around to building it. But it's nowhere near big enough for this beast. I'm attempting to build the heaviest duty four link I can. Here you can see my new redesigned bag perch compared to the one I ordered from Welder Series.
Name:  03.jpg
Views: 5455
Size:  99.8 KB

And here's one of the frame mounts for the 4 link bars beside the kit version. I made the new ones from 1/4" plate and the bent piece in the middle are 3/8" thick.
Name:  04.jpg
Views: 5310
Size:  104.0 KB

Top pieces of the notch tacked up. It took forever to cut the angles in these. Notice the lip on the angled pieces. I didn't consider that turning in toward the center would make the rail wider when I first designed it. But I'm happy because it gave me a little bit more metal to weld too.
Name:  05.jpg
Views: 5285
Size:  103.5 KB
UncleMatt is offline   Reply With Quote