View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #27
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

I spent this morning comparing and measuring between the 57 Chevy chassis and the Dodge frame. I have the Dodge frame sitting level now, so things are going to be a lot easier to work with. From my front axle centerline to the center of my core support mounts, the measurement is roughly 19". I will pin this one down as soon as I remove the front clip on the 57, but it is close enough to get an idea of what part of the Dodge frame I will be working with for the core support.

From the front axle centerline to the center of the front cab mount, the distance is 28 3/4", and from the front cab mount center to the rear cab mount center, it is 44". This means that the front mount will be in the 7" drop area on the Dodge frame and the rear mount will be in the 3" drop, ahead of the front wall of the bed (speaking of the Dodge bed.). Neither of these presents a problem.

My future son-in-law pointed out something I had not considered though, the engine position. Small block Dodge and small block Chevrolet are essentially 32" long from the bellhousing flange to the front of the belt driven fan. The area of concern is where Dodge mounted the engine. Knowing I have pretty close to 19" to the center of the core support mounts, I looked at where my fan currently resides in relation to the radiator. There is a 2" gap. From my bellhousing in the Dodge chassis to the centerline of the core support, the distance is, you guessed it, 32". If I lose the belt driven fan in favor of an electric, I can get back 3" and as long as the electric fan is less than 3" thick, I can use a puller style fan and all will still be happy.

I can move the engine, transmission and transfer case back, however, moving too much will affect the space left between the back of the transfer case on the drivers side and the rear axle, where the fuel tank resides. I already have the shortbed fuel tank, so if I have to give up too, much, I will need a custom tank. I am trying to avoid this.

What is the thickness of the Ford Taurus e-fan that the Jeep guys like, (95-ish) model as I recall?

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote