View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #33
imjeff

Re: A different approach to a LWB to SWB conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The weld is the same type of weld used in piping. Nuclear plants and any other plant use full pentration welds with beveled ends. No difference. Nice job man. Being a common weld with QC inspections for the full penitration. Certified welders can do this with no problems. As stated most people are not going to be certified in this type of welding. It takes years to gain this type of certifaction. It takes even more practice to keep it.
As one who has the certification I will tell you this is not the same as nuke piping. Mild steel isn't used in nuke piping. Nuke piping is welded with TIG. It's generally not steel period. There are many types of welded assemblies that are require fullpenetration welds. No mystery there. The toes are an issue. There's a reason for fish plating and its not because no one has enough expertise to do it. It's because the heat put into the steel causes the toes to become brittle. That's why heat treating exists. The steel in a weld is stronger than the base material, but the adjacent steel undergoes changes that induce internal stress in the steel and it becomes the failure point. Once again, this isn't a welder ability issue, this is metallurgy. If you can tell me the weld technique that leaves the space lattice of the toe unchanged I will be happy to try it. Unfortunately, welding puts heat into the base material and that changes its characteristics. Not my opinion, fact. If the truck is ran like most trucks these days it may very well be ok, but if it fails it will be next to those welds, even if they're perfect. I won't argue it further as its not a subjective issue, but since you brought nuke plants into it I thought I'd respond.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote