View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 10:49 PM   #337
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

I didn't get too many pictures of getting the top sections cut out but what I did was take a section of pipe with the ends squared and a washer welded on either end to keep it centered over a piece of half inch ready bolt. Tack welded the lower ear to the main plate so it wouldn't go anywhere and then bolted that together with the upper ball joint ear. That kept my kingpin angle locked in at 7 degrees and in line with the lower ear.

The upper ball joint ear was cut from a piece of 2-in round stock and then offset drilled in the lathe to cut the taper. From there I measured everything out and drew it up on graph paper so I can figure what I needed for angles for the short section up top. I knew I wanted it keyed in like the lower. Once I knew what angle I needed it was a semi sorta simple job of cutting out most of the material with a smaller bit and then Going in with a 2-in end mill bit that we happen to have and cutting the rest of the pocket.
I left the pipe bolted in between the upper and lowers through the whole welding heating and cooling process to try and keep everything where it was. It came out without any need to wail on it with a hammer and the hub still bolts in so I think I'm good.
Attached Images

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote