View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #12
jbgroby

Re: Auto Trans swap from 4sp Hydramatic to 700R4

Thank You Jocko,

Yes, I have the OEM 4-spd Hydramatic. In getting prices for a rebuilt (to keep the truck as OEM) the prices I've gotten from two decent transmission places - Hemming’s and local, are falling between $3200-$4500. That’s a game changer on the OEM route. It just seems more logical to upgrade the transmission to something more modern.

In speaking with Ed Snyder, Peter Chronic and Steve McDonald, they educated me and explained that IF I want with another transmission, I first had to find an Chevy adaptor - with luck I did and bought it last week (waiting on delivery). Next will be the decision as to what transmission I need to bolt up to the block.

All this is new to me and I'm learning just as fast as I can. On one hand I was told that I NEEDED the TH400 because of the torque that a V-6 puts out. Then another member said that was not so and broke out the numbers.

For the past 2 years I've driven the truck to mainly local shows and cruise night as far away as 100 miles one way, I've driven I-10 for short distances (no other route available between certain points) but I try to mainly staying on the low roads. I would not mind going to further distance shows such as the Emerald Coast, North Louisiana shows, etc.

Truck handles 55-65 no problem (except sucking gas when I push it). If I can put in a transmission that has Overdrive and can handle 70-75 that would be great. I just not sure what route to take, because I have no experience with this type of issue. I know I have to recut/adjust the propeller shaft (drive shaft) and have it rebalanced. To use the same steering wheel, I’ll need to make up the linkage (cable). But I’m taking one step at a time.

I expect the truck to be down for at least 6 months – summer season is shot (unless I magically fall into a pot of money), so I’m not in a rush, but just need to make the right decision for the long haul. SO anyone help with be greatly appr.

Jake
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote