View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
jocko

Re: Auto Trans swap from 4sp Hydramatic to 700R4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
I was told that I NEEDED the TH400 because of the torque that a V-6 puts out.
Keep in mind that you can drive a 1000hp big block with a TH350 and not hurt it at all - because it's not the engine that over-torques the trans, it's all in how the driver applies the torque with his right foot.

When folks say this or that trans "won't hold up to a big block or even a stout 350" what they are really saying is "this or that engine is CAPABLE of over-powering the trans and breaking it." These types of statements are usually made relative to THEIR driving habits and they assume you will do the same. So, in other words - for THEIR driving habits, a TH350 might not last long... What matters, though, is YOUR driving habits. For everyday driving, any of them will do. One note, if you're going to be towing things - then, yes, heavier duty trans is worth the investment as is a good trans cooler (actually, that's recommended with ANY auto trans you choose). But for just driving around with normal acceleration and cruising, doesn't matter if you have a 6 cylinder or a monster big block, how you drive it will dictate whether it lives or dies.

So, if you are gonna do burnouts, then, yes, TH400 probably a better choice. But your posts don't strike me as written by a guy that drag races stoplight to stoplight. If you drive reasonably, the TH350 or 700R4 or 2004R will be just as functional as a TH400.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote