View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
garyd1961

Anyone just skip the the bodywork and rebuild everything mechanical.

I redone my truck about 3 years ago. The body was a little rusty but straight and solid. It was going to take a lot of body work to get it right though. I didn't want to go months or years without my truck so my solution was to rebuild all the mechanical components and clean up the body and try to put a halt to the rusting process.
I went with a new motor and trans, new brakes, new exhaust, new tires and wheels, and rewired everything under the hood. I cleaned up the body as best I could without removing it from the frame or replacing sheet metal. I cleaned everything underneath as best I could and sprayed about 20+ cans of cheap spray paint on anything rusty.
My solution for the paint was to oil it, I now use WD40 a couple times a year. Just spray it on and wipe it down and in a couple days it has dried in and will repel water as good as wax.
I still need to do some more work to it but it's a dependable fun to drive truck. One day when I retire I may do the body right but for now I plan to enjoy it as is.
My only problem is everywhere I go people try to buy it, I guess they think they can get it for cheap.
I don't have a current picture but it still looks pretty much as it did 3 years ago.

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-08-2019 at 09:04 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote