View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #45
lil hoodlum

Re: Complete rewiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukkie View Post
This is the one thing that keeps messing with my head, I do not NEED any of the above listed products. My truck fires up and runs from Houston to New Orleans as it sits now. Every exterior light i have fixed, the interior lights i havent bothered with. That being said the tail lights are fixed with 7 twist on connectors and any color autozone wire i had in the garage at the time, the electric fans is running black wire spliced to a red wire spliced to a yellow spliced to a black, the starter wire is half green and two colors red. I REALLY WANT the above mentioned products to clean all this jumble, But is splicing an EZ wiring kit into 30 year old terminals and such really an improvement from what i already have? or for the extra 200 bucks get new terminals connectors and such which i dont really need but are already built into the wiring? I say yea if your going thru the whole re wire process why not re wire all of it beginning to end. Its not like they sell a 3/4 length wire kit where you have to provide the last 12 inches to reach the wires destination, so why buy one that needs the last 3 inches where whatever terminals and connectors or socket rests and have brand new wiring running 30 year old sockets and bulbs that will just end up burning up sooner than later and have to be spliced replaced (by more random autozone wire)
The 18 circuit wiring harness from Painless has new terminals and connectors. Most of it is allready prewired and ready for installation. You simply unplug old wiring harness and plug in new one. All wires are color coded and use the same factory colors. Wires are labeled every 6 inches telling you which wire section it belongs to and each wire has a number allowing you quickly tell where it begins and ends. Fuses are are allready pre-installed in fuse box and are the new blade style. There is a 50 amp Maxi-fuse to protect the wiring harness.

Best of all it can be had for $388 from www.jegs.com.

It actually took me more time to route the wires the way I wanted than to actually install the harness. I decided to re-wire my truck because of the old 40 plus years of the original wiring harness and to clean up all of the old hack job wiring done to it.

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote