View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #209
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

11/16 - Getting Worlds to Align

I think I mentioned something about a simple 15 minute install ends up taking 90 minutes in a prior post. Yesterdays adventure was very much in this vein.

I received the new precision weatherstripping press-on door seals earlier in the week and make it the goal to install these. I unbolted the top and a friend and I moved it back about 8" along the bed rails and just let it set there. Easy. That took 10 minutes

We proceeded to screw the large rubber ends to the windshield frame and press the seals onto the seam. After they were in place we unbolted the rubber ends, peeled them away from the windshield a few inches to apply sealant to the rubber end in an effort to prevent moisture from seeping down inside the windshield frame.

These seals are very nice and have a very good grip on the seam. The door rubber is very soft and the doors still close nicely with them installed. Very easy install.

We're now maybe about 30 minutes into the install...and I bet you can guess what happens next.

In short we struggled for about the next 3 hours to set the stop back in place and get all the bolt holes to align. We finally prevailed and learned some tricks along the way, but man, what a PITA.

Here's some pics of the seal:
Name:  SealTop.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  SealTop2.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  SealBPillar.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  89.8 KB

Then we had about 30 minutes left of daylight so we got the front bumper mounted up Oh and I got that nice shiny stainless hardware on the diff cover

Name:  Bumper.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  81.8 KB

Might see if I can get a couple hours or work in today, and then I have the next 3 days off work and will be putting in FULL days on the truck. Anything short of massive progress will be a huge disappointment for me

PUNCH LIST
Under Dash

-Radio + Aux/USB in the cig lighter + hidden antenna
-Connect dash grounds
-Check carb gets to WOT with pedal travel
-Install glove box

Interior
-Cut MLV and install under front carpet
-Finalize front carpet placement and make holes for shifter, dimmer switch, + seat bolts, seat belts
-Drill holes for: center console mounting holes and still plates
-Install tcase shifter, boot, + trim ring

Underhood
-Finish underhood wiring
-Install radiator overflow
-Install wiper fluid reservoir
-Install horns
-Cut 1/4" threaded rod for air cleaner stud

Misc
Get fire extinguisher
Double check all fluids
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote