Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #165
MDPotter

Re: 1968 GMC - Ol' Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Thanks for the pics. That helps a lot. I need to get back to working on mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Man, your really pounding out some good work here

I really like your steering wheel. I've done a grant or two in my day and while they aren't bad, having a quality wheel, column, and internals really makes a big difference. I think grant has low budget, and high budget stuff

Fuse block setup looks nice, I'm thinking of that same 3 relay fan setup as well. Hopefully I pinned the PCM correctly and won't have to go back and redo the engine harness again...

So what exactly is leaking on your fuel setup? I'm using the tanks Inc PA-4 series and didn't have any problems at all back when I pressurized the system and fired up my motor. I'm using A/N to braided line looks like it's the only difference. Curious to see how this one turns out.

Looking good man, keep it up!

Thanks guys.

TA - We tested the fan wiring by grounding out the wires we identified as the ground trigger wires to be connected back to the PCM and confirmed that they work as they should. Only time will tell as to whether the wires I have coming from the PCM will send the ground triggers when they're supposed to! I had a mail order tune put on my PCM so that's another variable. Per the GM diagram, once the coolant temp reaches its higher limit, both wires should be grounded. If only the high temp wire is grounded, only one fan will run full speed. But with both wires grounded, both wires run full speed. With only the low temp wire grounded, both fans run half speed.

The first leak is the single supply fitting coming out of the regulator - the one that has all the play in it. I should have lubed up that fitting before pressing it in, I may have messed up the o-ring. I might end up ruining the regulator in pulling that fitting out because of the teeth. Or it may already be ruined if I messed up the o-ring.

The second leak is somewhere at the top of the pump assembly. I tightened up the supply and return fittings and I think they quit leaking but it almost looks like fuel is seeping out where the pickup and returns penetrate the mounting plate. I used Permatex aviation sealant on both sides of the cork gasket and the threads of the screws, but maybe I overtightened the screws. I used anti-seize on the supply and return fittings so I want to take those back out and put Permatex on them and make sure they aren't leaking. I'm also wondering if maybe the fittings are putting some side load on the pickup and return tubes and causing a leak. So lots of variables to explore.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote