View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #58
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
So in my last post on your thread, I asked if you pressed the extensions into the housing... well, what I should have asked was if you had to extend the long side of the eaton housing any more than the section that is inside the inner C. Or did you have to cut the long side down any? In the pictures it doesn't look like the long side had to be extended out more. All I can see is your plug weld grinds. Also, what was the wall thickness of the eaton housing? did you have to turn it any to get it true so it would fit over your freakin awesome axle extensions?

Too many questions?

Other than the part that is in the C on the long side, I did not extend it. Actually had to trim about 1/8'' off the long side to get everything right where I wanted it. And the Eaton housing uses 3 1/4'' x 5/16'' wall tubes, and I didn't turn the housing itself, I just turned the extensions to a certain size to match the side it was going on (one extension I had to turn about .007 smaller than the other to get it to fit tight, but not too tight).

Small update, I put the 3rd back in the housing to check if the shaft lengths were right, and they were right on the money. I also checked it again with a buddy's setup bar and found that I just slightly tweaked the drivers side inner C forward by about 1/16'' from welding. Used the flame bending method to pull it straight (Use of heat only, no force, uses steel's natural expansion/contraction properties to bend something) , worked like charm, so its good to go now.

Made some shackles, not 100% done with them yet (still have to punch the holes out to the final size on the ironworker at work and plug weld the 2 holes in the middle I cut for that.) All TIG welded, 1/2'' thick overall, each is 2 pieces of 1/4'' thick steel, and they are 5.5'' long from bolt center to bolt center.

And made some 1/4'' thick rings with the Eaton HO52/72 diff cover bolt pattern cut in them, should make for a nice heavy duty diff cover or diff cover guard.

And I got 3 more H1 wheels/tires from a buddy, 7 total now (7 good wheels, 5 good tires).

I'm selling the wheels BTW, if anyone is interested send me a PM!