View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #72
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

So I got some bling grade 8 hardware in from McMaster and cut out a ton of general purpose tabs, and got the transfer case completely finished, its ready for the truck now. Not a lot to say this time, so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Out with the old....

In with the new.....

All finished up.....

Of course gotta have the grade 8 bling up front too!

For those of you rebuilding NP205's, if you didn't already know, keep the torque wrench set low (like 8-10 ft-lbs) when putting in the shift rail detent spring cap things, they are hollow and twist off easily. I felt this one slip as I was tightening it, stopped in time to be able to back it out. Luckily I've got 3 more NP205's to rob parts from.

Did a quick test fit of my crossover steering arm with the ARP studs, everything fits great, and I like that I can use ordinary 9/16-18 lug nuts. Just need to get the tapered insert for the arm and it'll be good to go.

And a quick note on shop safety.... I left this old fan plugged in and running in my garage while I went inside for lunch today. Came back out and could smell burnt motor, what finally got my attention was fire coming out of the back of this fan motor! It was a pretty old fan, but I had it near some cardboard boxes, could have lost my garage if I weren't around for a few minutes longer. So keep your old shop tools/fans/etc unplugged and off when you aren't around! I know its common sense but I'm sure we are all guilty of leaving stuff on like that, obviously I am. Here's the aftermath, can see the black streaks/sooty areas on the motor from where it had flames coming out. I got lucky that it didn't do any damage to anything other than itself.

Stay tuned for more updates coming soon!