View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #138
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

The intercooler piping saga begins...

I didn't have the parts that I needed to complete the bottom radiator piping, so I decided to start the intercooler piping.

One major problem, the blower inlet points up. Here it is in the center of this photo (with the Gorilla tape around the inlet). I need it to point forward to meet the piping from the intercooler.

Name:  4-53T Driver's Side View.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  91.5 KB

Here it is in the vise awaiting major surgery:

Name:  Blower Inlet Housing in the Vise.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  66.6 KB

There's no turning back now!

Name:  Blower Inlet Housing after cuts.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  66.9 KB

Welding cast aluminum - no problem - right? Well it was for me. This casting was full of inclusions. It was the devil to weld.

Name:  Blower Inlet Housing welded.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  54.5 KB

I made a test apparatus to test the welds. Here it is in the apparatus for the first time. I obviously didn't have the clamps tight enough since there are bubbles around the gasket.

Name:  Blower Inlet Housing test apparatus.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  69.4 KB

By the time I got the two pinholes welded up, I had lots of practice in putting the housing in the test fixture. The pinholes were caused by two nasty inclusions. I would weld, test, grind, weld, test, grind, etc., etc., etc. I am not proud of the looks of the weld only that it doesn't leak.

Between the fitting, welding, testing and re-flattening the sealing surface, I must have 30 hours in this part. Good thing I'm retired - I would starve to death trying to make a living this way!

Last edited by burnitg; 02-18-2016 at 08:05 PM.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote