View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
71ChevySS(straight6)

Re: Rear Gears!!! Help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
But when someone can't even take the time to figure out the gear ratio in the truck by using Google to come up with ways to answer that question, I figure they won't put much effort in learning to set up a differential which is not just guess work and shouldn't be taken on if not going to go all the way. Like working on it over the winter with plenty of time.

And SpecialK is right on as usual with his analysis.

So for someone new without a whole bunch of interest in learning a technical skill that will require a significant investment in tools in order to do correctly, the best option is to determine what you have and what you want, and buy a used complete setup that fits that goal.
Okay. First of all, I'm going to college this fall, at the rate of $33,460 A YEAR, to achieve my Bachelor's in Automotive Restoration (that's four years, times $33,460 per year. Luckily I have some amazing scholarships and only owe a little over $6,000 for freshman year at the current moment). There's one reason I don't want to invest much in this project.

The other reason, and the same reason I don't have all winter to work on it: I have to drive this truck to college. I can't be stuck out there for months without a vehicle while I tear apart and gradually redo the rearend.

I may go out and find a good rearend with 3.55s, since it's apparently the quicker, cheaper way to go about it.

You really shouldn't assume stuff, Mike, but thanks for the help.

Rat rod build: 1949 Crosley Station Wagon body on 1993 Dodge D350 chassis, Cadillac 500 powerplant.
71ChevySS(straight6) is offline   Reply With Quote