View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #391
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

Volume 3 of Woody's round up where I moan a bit, generally get curse word off with everything, decide if a better hobby would be knitting and generally have a total lack of enthusiasm.

So... With that out of the way let's get on with it shall we.

When I left you last time I had thought that the days of chopping out bits of rot and glueing in replacements was behind me and I could get on with the stuff I actually enjoy. You know, driving and vulcanising rubber.

The standards.

To get to this nirvana I had to throw some epoxy primer on the inside of the cab so that Jay The Spring Slasher could drop over and put on some colour.

Before I go any further I am going to let you into the inner workings of my smooth brain here as, I am sure many of you will be asking, 'Paint?"

I did mention this before but my thinking for Woody has been a sort of Poor Mans Derelict - a homage to the dedicated team over at Icon but done on a fraction of the budget by a monkey in a shed. You get the idea.

To that end I want to make the inside as nice as I possibly can - all new rubbers, sound insulation, new carpet, paint and a cost effective audio solution. The seat is in rather good condition but I will eventually get this redone in a combination of leather and hounds tooth or pasha along with the door panels. You know. Nice.

Outside is going to stay as it is as I am not spending another fortune on paint and body work. No Sir.

Anyway, back to my current state of Blah.

As I was sweeping out the interior, hoovering and generally clearing up I noticed a small hole on the drinkers side A pillar right at the bottom. Not noticed it before but with my new work light there it was for all to see.

Ok. Let me give that a gentle dig with my faithful screw driver.

Oh dear.....

Oh dear indeed.....

Oh for goodness sake.....

How this all got in there I have no idea bit after using my Mouse Sucker 4000 I extracted the rest of the detritus, gave it a quick coat of that Vactan stuff and then a coat of Zinc primer before sticking a bit of replacement tin back in the hole.

Not my finest work but its in and solid.

The extra hole at the top is where I had to add another bit of metal as I didn't cut the original hole big enough and there was still some weakness there when I was welding it up.

Now this brings me onto what is probably one of my biggest faults during this whole 'build'. I don't cut out enough metal when making a repair. This then leads to me having several smaller repairs rather than one big one.

Which causes me more work. And it looks a bit pants.

Anyway.

I have now, FINALLY, at the point where I can put away the welder for a few weeks and start the next part of the process, masking.

Great....

Dash and doors jams masked.

Question for those masochist amongst us that actually enjoy this sort of thing. How do you mask up the windows and rubbers?

The rear window rubber is a bit old and hard as my first thought was to lever it up and put the tape under it and then pull it over the rubber before using masking paper (does that make sense?)

What is the right way - or the easiest way to do this.

Mmmm... The picture highlights that a little more rubbing down is required...

Anyway. Still urinated off but would appreciate thoughts on the masking.

Until the next time.

ONWARDS!!!!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote