View Single Post
Old 04-13-2002, 12:15 AM   #55
'72 Cheyenne Super

Just to clear the air (I've been away from the 'puter for a while), my comments were not directed specifically at you, 68 Suburban, but to all those who try to tell us that capitalism is bad, driving cars and polluting is bad, drilling for oil is bad, so on and so on. I don't care if gas does get to $5.00/gal., I can afford it, but that's not the point. (besides, my daily driver is a diesel, and diesel prices are a lot more stable than gas.) Why not get angry at the automakers for pumping out so many vehicles which creates a bigger demand for fuel, thus higher fuel prices? What about the DOT road planners that have their heads so far up their collective arses that they keep motorists in gridlock, burning up all that precious, expensive fuel while not going anywhere? There are a lot of factors that come into play here, but to ignore the fact that the GOVERNMENT makes more money off the sale of fuel than the Oil companies do, then trying to punish said oil companies for being profitable seems like a bit of misdirected frustration to me. The environmental movement, on the other hand, is just another stumbling block to exploration for more oil (which would bring prices down), and also helps to increase the taxes on fuel sales for misguided environmental concerns.

So, in closing, don't go thinking you were the target of a drive-by poster. You may accuse me of making unfounded, baseless arguments, but one could take your posts the same way. Truce?