View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
ZohmBii

Re: JackdTruck - the overly ambitious 1969 K10 LWB Project

At this point in the project we had already made some changes to our original plan, but it still was going to be a fairly simple build.

Engine:
- Clean up a 350 TPI motor that we had that only had about 2000 miles on it.

Drivetrain:
- Reuse original SM465 and T221 transfer case
- Rebuild front Dana 44 from 1975 truck with disc brakes
- Rebuild rear 12 bolt from original truck

Chassis:
- Simple 6" lift so we could run a 35" tall tire and have plenty of clearance
- 4 wheel disc brakes

We changed the suspension from a 6" lift to an 8" because my dad bought it for a Christmas gift for my brother and the cost was only about $150 difference (not counting the additional steering components, but he didn't think about that).

Since we already had to change the gear ratios in the axles to match, we upgraded to 4.56s with Yukon Duragrip lockers in both. Now, 4.56 might seem a little steep, but that 8" lift said we could run a 38" tire so that's what we were gonna do, of course.

Body:
- Simple rust repair on cab, bed, and fenders
- Basic, low dollar paint job
- Reuse windows & trim as we were able to

Interior:
- Upgrade radio for bluetooth
- Replace dash pad, seat and carpet
- Remove fuel tank from cab, install under bed

And that's what our scope of the project was at this point in time. We knew we'd have to get some new wiring harnesses and a few other odds and ends, but we were making good progress so we were all very hopeful.

Yeah, we splurged a little here and there for a bigger lift and better gears, but we were still well within our budget for the project and figured we would be able to whip it together in the following months - boy were we wrong.
Check out what I'm up to on Instagram: @zohmbii
ZohmBii is offline   Reply With Quote