View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
msg

Re: Need help with 66 Fawn interior color

Thanks for the info Astronaut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
The color is very close without tinting it, close enough that 95% of people would never notice a difference in color.
As long as its close I'll be happy, my restore isnt going to be completely original but the original look is what I go for mostly.

Quote:
For a show truck/garage queen this isn't a problem, but the color might fade over time on a daily driver. I feel like this is the closest in apperance to the original paint.
Id like to have as much UV protection as I can get. Until i get a home with that mongo garage Im dreaming about my autos will have to take turns in a 1 car garage which at the moment is a workshop/paint booth.

Quote:
I haven't tried using a metalic single stage with flattener added in. I'm not great at spraying metalic single stage and making the metalic orientation the same all over, so I didn't want to attempt it inside a oddly shaped truck cab.
I dont trust my skills here either, in fact I will be nervous enough to get a metallic to behave. I had originally hoped to shoot saddle on the exterior and after attempting a test panel on seperate days I backed off. Not to say that a solid color wont be difficult for me to shoot in a panel for panel but with the garage space I have to work in thats my only option.

The interior cab, door interior, glovebox, steering column, and gas tank would be shot in one day though so I hopefully stand a better chance of it all not looking totally off. Fingers crossed.

A link to the thread on that attempt. Brian had given me alot of guidance.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=746922

Quote:
On my '66, I'm planning on spraying base/clear, but with a small amount of basecoat mixed into the clear so the metalic particles are at the surface of the paint like the original paint. That way it has UV protection, the basecoat has the correct metalic orientation, and the clear w/base mix is translucent enough that the base shows through but still has some pigment/metalic particles at the surface. Should be very close in apperance and hold up well over time.
This sounds interesting, I guess the ratio of basecoat to add to clear will have to be tinkered with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Are you guys going to do the dark fawn on the dash and light fawn on the rest like 66 came or all light fawn?
Jimmy
Hey Jimmy, my interior originally looked like this which looks to me to be the light fawn all round so thats what I was planning to do.
Attached Images