View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Chuck78

Re: Power Brake Booster Adapter Bracket

Here's a closeup of the factory single shared reservoir clutch and brake master in case you weren't familiar with the 60-62 clutch setups.

You'd basically have to just space the booster off the firewall about 4.5" or so (depends somewhat on the profile of the back of the booster that is being used, some will allow more clearance), and then notch out the engine side of the bracket's firewall mounting flange, and then all that's left is to extend the brake pedal pushrod. Pirate Jack's sells several pieces that are pushrods and pushrod extenders, and most people could probably just make up a threaded piece that would work, depending on the configuration of the booster's pushrod.

I'm going to use probably the 8" dual diaphragm adjustable pushrod unit from Pirate Jack's for $130. Same thing without an adjustable pushrod is $99. This was just so that I can keep the drums up front for now and use a deep pushrod bore master, and then later readjust it and run a standard shallow pushrod bore master for front disc applications - for when I actually have time to do the crossmember swap.

The 67-70 3/4 and 1 ton trucks used what I believe is an 8" dual diaphragm booster, and it has the correct master cylinder (1-1/8" bore drum/drum) for our trucks if retaining all drums and switching to a safer dual reservoir setup, so I thought about just using that.
part number is A1 Cardone #5471011 w/o master, #501011 w/master. No bracket.
The 1/2 ton 63-66 booster w/vertical bracket almost looks like it'd work just with some spacers, but I think it's a single diaphragm, and without a master, it costs almost as much as the 67-69 dual diaph. w/master. Both of these would need some more pushrod modifications, as they have a socket type and not threaded as far as what I can tell from the pictures. THe Pirate Jack's unit has a threaded pushrod. This would be best.
*Many 1977-1979 Suzuki GS motorcycles, Kawasaki KDX220R, '77 Suzuki PE250, etc
Chuck78 is offline   Reply With Quote