Thread: 400/406 Builds
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #121
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 400/406 Builds

Just because a cam is used in a magazine article does not mean it is the best to use. The Thumper cams are designed to mainly make noise. The first cam they used is a very old school grind and it made nearly as much power as the Thumper. You can buy that old school cam with lifters for about half the cost of the Thumper cam alone.There are much better grinds available for your application than the Thumper line of cams. I would suggest one of the Comp Cams Extreme 4x4 cams.

With a more sensible cam, you could likely keep your 3.42 gears since you are running only 32" tires. Although if you were to change gears I wouldn't go any lower than 3.73 with those tires and with running a TH350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrisc19844x4_468 View Post
I did and thanks for that. I went for that cam based on the article in hot rod mag a few years ago. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...ster-for-2500/

The intake manifold pictured is on that was in on the deal I made for the heads. I do have access to a single plane intake as well.
My plans are to change the carrier to a Eaton truetrac , depending on what we find when we open up the differental.

What if I was to say that I may change the gears to 4.10. Would that change your thought on the cam?

The tires are 15 x 32
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote